Menu Close

Live Out Your Best Future

Take the first step toward addiction treatment by contacting us today.

Will the VA Pay for Drug Rehab?

Man asks health professional with clipboard if the VA will pay for drug rehab

Active military personnel, veterans, and their family members with TRICARE rehab insurance coverage may wonder if their benefits will pay for drug or alcohol addiction treatment. VA insurance will pay for treatments for addiction and co-occurring disorders. If you’re looking for a rehab that takes VA insurance, call Vertava Health at 844.470.0410.

Substance Use Disorders in the Military

The men and women in the armed forces and their families live a life that most civilians can’t relate to. Deployment is a high-stress experience often associated with the unhealthy use of drugs and alcohol and other risky behaviors. 

Due to the military’s unique culture, many military members choose not to seek help if they are struggling with mental health concerns like substance misuse.

The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) reports that approximately half of all military personnel believe seeking treatment for mental health concerns would harm their military career. 

Whether this is true or something that’s perceived, the fact remains that the rate of substance use disorders is higher among those in the military than among the general population.

Veterans and active personnel are vulnerable to illicit and prescription drug misuse. Many veterans turn to drugs or alcohol for pain management, putting them at higher risk for opioid overdose. Some develop substance use disorders from trying to manage symptoms of PTSD and other mental health concerns related to their service.

Addiction treatment is effective and can help improve the quality of life for the people who have so bravely served. Unfortunately, many in the service are so worried about potential consequences that they don’t even ask, “Will the VA pay for drug rehab?”

Will the VA Pay for Addiction Treatment?

The VA will cover some or all of the costs of rehab services if you are enrolled in a health care plan. The first step is to sign up for the VA benefits you deserve if you haven’t already done so. Not only will the VA pay for addiction treatment, but it will also pay for any other service-related healthcare issues that arise.

Veterans and their family members have specific needs that most civilians do not. Some of the obstacles to treatment veterans face include:

  • The belief they should be strong enough to overcome all problems alone
  • Trusting professionals outside of the military system
  • Problems expressing emotions and talking about feelings or fears
  • Thinking that no one really understands what they are going through
  • A strong commitment to loyalty, even when it undermines their own health
  • PTSD and other service-related health issues
  • Not wanting to further inconvenience or worry family members

Treatment programs designed especially for military personnel are better equipped to help patients overcome these obstacles and receive the treatment they need to live happier healthier lives.

Other Mental Health Services Covered by the VA

Getting help for substance misuse and other mental health concerns may be one of the most difficult assignments any serviceman or woman ever faces. The VA supports those who serve by offering coverage for a wide range of mental health treatments, including:

  • Grief
  • Depression
  • PTSD
  • Military sexual trauma
  • Anxiety disorders
  • Substance use disorders

The people who serve our country deserve the best possible care, whether their wounds are physical, mental, or emotional. Covering addiction treatment with VA benefits is an important step in providing that essential care. 

Vertava Health Offers Substance Use Disorder Treatment for Veterans

If you are a veteran or know a veteran who needs help, reach out to Vertava Health. We can answer all your questions, including “Will the VA pay for drug rehab?” and help you start the process of recovery. Call Vertava Health today at 844.470.0410 for more information.