A behavioral addiction is when a person is compelled to act in a certain way, even if it is damaging their physical or mental health. Common behavioral addictions include gambling, shopping, internet addiction, and disordered eating.
If you or a loved one would like to know more about the most common behavioral addictions, contact Vertava Health at 844.470.0410 today. Treatment options, such as gambling addiction treatment programs, are designed to help individuals struggling with behavioral addictions. The professionals at Vertava Health understand the complexities of addiction. We provide evidence-based care to help clients build a foundation for long-term success in recovery. Treatment plans are tailored to meet each individual’s specific needs so that they can learn new skills and strategies to better cope with life without their addiction.
The Most Common Behavioral Addictions
Behavioral addictions can devastate a person’s life. They can lead to divorce, bankruptcy, incarceration, homelessness, overdose, and death. There is an abundance of behaviors that can cause addiction, but for now, let’s focus on the most prevalent. Some of the most common behavioral addictions are:
- Compulsive gambling disorder – Individuals with this type of addiction have an uncontrollable urge to participate in gambling activities, such as playing slot machines or sports betting.
- Shopping addiction – This is when a person compulsively buys items they otherwise can’t afford.
- Internet addiction – Internet addicts engage in excessive use of the internet to the point of causing physical, psychological, or social problems.
- Disordered eating – This is when a person has an unhealthy relationship with food, such as binge eating or restricting food intake.
- Compulsive sexual behavior disorder – This is an addiction to sexual activities despite the consequences and risks.
If you or a loved one is struggling with any of the behavioral addictions listed above, seeking professional treatment is strongly advised. Gambling addiction treatment programs, for example, involve evidence-based therapies such as cognitive behavioral therapy and dialectical behavior therapy that help the client learn to recognize and cope with triggers that cause the addictive behaviors. With the right help, individuals can successfully overcome their addiction and live healthier and more fulfilling lives.
Treatment Of Behavioral Addictions
Behavioral Addictions are not a moral failing. Addiction is the brain’s natural reaction to action because it longs for that feel-good effect of euphoria. There are a variety of different treatments for common behavioral addictions.
- 12-step programs – 12-step programs, such as Gamblers Anonymous or Shopping Addicts Anonymous, allow individuals to connect with others struggling with similar issues.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapies – Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) provides individuals with coping strategies to manage their addictive behavior.
- Dialectical behavior therapy – Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) teaches individuals to be mindful of their thoughts and behaviors.
- Community outreach programs – Community outreach programs provide social networks, support groups, and recovery resources to individuals in need.
- Medication – Certain types of medication can be used to help ease the symptoms associated with behavioral addictions.
- Inpatient treatment – Inpatient treatment programs provide a residential setting for individuals to focus on their recovery and receive around-the-clock support.
- Outpatient treatment – Outpatient treatment programs allow individuals to receive structured care while still attending school or work.No matter the type of behavioral addiction, the professionals at
Treatment for behavioral addictions does not have to be time-consuming or expensive. With the proper support, individuals can overcome their addiction and live a life of sobriety.
Find Help for Behavioral Addictions at Vertava Health
If you or a loved one is struggling with any behavioral addiction, contact Vertava Health at 844.470.0410 today. The compassionate team at Vertava Health is here to help you or your loved one find a specialized treatment program designed to meet your needs. We understand the difficulties of addiction and provide evidence-based care that gives you the tools necessary for lasting success.