Holistic treatment for addiction is becoming increasingly popular. It is a non-medical form of treatment that often complements more traditional evidence-based practices.
Many traditional treatment methods focus on reducing withdrawal symptoms and cravings as well as changing the behaviors that surround addiction. Holistic addiction treatment includes a variety of activities and services that can enhance people’s recovery experience and help them work toward a healthier lifestyle that promotes sobriety.
What Is Holistic Addiction Treatment?
Holistic addiction treatment is a non-medical approach to treatment that focuses on integrating the healing of the physical, mental, and emotional health of a person. It is typically supplemental services to a more traditional approach to addiction and may include a variety of different activities.
Get Help for Addiction With Therapy.
We are here to help you through every aspect of recovery. Let us call you to learn more about our treatment options.
While holistic therapies vary, their goal is typically the same: to treat the person as a whole rather than focusing on particular symptoms. Many holistic treatments help people address some of the root causes of their addictions and cope with them in a healthy and productive way.
Types Of Holistic Treatment for Drug Addiction & Alcoholism
Many holistic treatments for addiction aim to address not only physical symptoms of addiction but the secondary problems created as a result of substance use disorders. Each holistic addiction treatment also works in a different way to heal the mind, body, and soul.
Some types of holistic addiction treatment may include:
- Meditation — A regular meditation practice may provide some benefits to people in addiction recovery. This form of holistic addiction treatment can help individuals have a clear mind and increase focus as well as help ease cravings through mindfulness.
- Yoga — Yoga may help reduce cravings, strengthen the body and mind, and decrease insomnia.
- Nutritional Education— Many people enter a medical detox or treatment program with nutritional deficiencies due to long term substance abuse. Nutritional education teaches individuals how to healthfully nourish their bodies with food to heal the body from within.
- Recreational And Exercise Activities— Exercise may have numerous benefits for some individuals in addiction recovery. Regular exercise can improve mood, increase energy, and improve self-esteem. It can also promote sleep and help build a healthy routine. Exercise and recreational activities may include equine-assisted learning, rock climbing, and hiking.
- Acupuncture — For some people, acupuncture may help to restore balance in the body, which can be especially helpful after years of drug or alcohol abuse.
- Massage — A massage may provide stress relief and eases tension in the body.
- Biofeedback — Biofeedback helps people better understand and control their brainwaves in relation to addiction. This type of holistic substance abuse treatment involves performing an electroencephalogram (EEG) so that a person can see his or her brain activity when thinking about certain scenarios related to recovery. The hope is that by doing so, relapse rates may be reduced and people may experience longer periods of sobriety.
Not all of these services and activities will work for everyone. Like other forms of treatment, holistic treatment for substance abuse is not one-size-fits-all. Many people will have to try various holistic approaches before finding the one that’s best for them.
Benefits Of Holistic Substance Abuse Treatment
Nearly a third of all addiction treatment facilities incorporate some holistic activities into their programs.
Holistic approaches to addiction treatment may provide some patients added benefits for their recovery journey. Alongside the use of evidence-based programming, some potential benefits of holistic addiction treatment may include:
- more balanced emotions
- relief from physical and mental withdrawal symptoms
- renewed spirituality
- healthy eating habits that can reduce neurochemical imbalances
- reduction of environmental toxins that may contribute to drug cravings
- a better relationship with one’s body and mind
- more energy and motivation to complete tradition treatment
- increased self-confidence
Finding Holistic Recovery from Addictions
We strives to provide patients with a comprehensive selection of treatment options for a truly customizable plan of recovery. While our focus is on evidence-based modalities, we often incorporate various holistic addiction recovery activities to meet the needs and preferences of each individual.