The brewery industry in Milwaukee has a long history. The city has been nicknamed Beertown, Beer City and Brew City, and even its professional baseball team is named the Milwaukee Brewers.
With a history steeped in the creation and consumption of beer, many Milwaukee residents struggle with alcohol addiction as well as drug addiction. Whether an individual is struggling with alcohol or drug addiction, effective treatment programs are available.
Addiction Treatment In Milwaukee, WI
Addiction treatment services in Milwaukee are available in a continuum of care that ranges from support services to get a person into treatment to follow-up programs that help keep a person committed to sobriety after treatment. The continuum follows a proven series of treatment levels to help transition an individual from a life controlled by addiction to one focused on sobriety.
Addiction treatment services may include:
- Medical detox
- Inpatient addiction treatment
- Outpatient addiction treatment
- Aftercare or alumni services
Most rehab facilities will perform an intake interview and a clinical assessment to determine the best plan for treatment, which may include all or some of these service levels.
An intervention is often the first step in the treatment process. Intervention specialists in Milwaukee can help families have a conversation with a loved one they suspect is dealing with an addiction. Professional interventionists know how to address the problem and help an individual recognize their need for help.
Medical Detox Services
Detoxing from an addictive substance causes uncomfortable physical and emotional symptoms. Milwaukee detox programs provide medical support and help patients manage these symptoms as they work through the detox process. Often this involves the use of medications to control or prevent withdrawal symptoms.
Inpatient Addiction Treatment
The most effective way to battle addiction is through an inpatient treatment program. An inpatient program gives the individual a place to live that is protected, monitored and drug-free, all while participating in therapy and treatment. By taking the individual away from daily life and triggers, inpatient treatment providers can help patients to focus on recovery and provide the tools for success.
Some Milwaukee inpatient drug rehab centers offer specialized treatment programs, such as:
- Animal therapy
- Religious therapy
- Gender-specific programs
- LGBTQIA-friendly programs
Outpatient Addiction Treatment
The outpatient treatment takes place in a facility where the patient does not live on site. Patients attend treatment sessions during the day and then return home. Sometimes patients can continue working in their jobs or attending school while in outpatient treatment.
Outpatient addiction treatment can be the next step after an inpatient program, or it can be a completely separate program, depending on the extent of an individual’s addiction.
Aftercare And Alumni Services
After successfully completing rehab, many individuals find that they still need support to continue in sobriety. Aftercare and alumni services provide opportunities to connect to the recovery community and find that support.
Milwaukee aftercare services may include:
- Support groups
- Online support
- Self-help programs
- Job counseling
- Sober living houses
Paying For Drug Rehab
The cost of drug rehab can prevent some individuals from seeking treatment that they desperately need. Thankfully, Milwaukee residents have several financing options to help cover some or all of the cost of addiction treatment.
The first step for many people is to contact their health insurance provider. Insurance providers who may offer coverage for addiction treatment in Milwaukee include:
- Dean Health Plan
- Security Health Plan
- Prevea360 Health Plan
- Molina Healthcare
- Arise Health Plan
- Assurant Health
- Anthem BlueCross and BlueShield
When health insurance does not cover all of the cost of treatment, additional options may be available. Individuals can get help through fundraising, medical credit cards, personal loans, and payment plans at the treatment facility of choice. Limited finances should never be a barrier to access with so many options available.
Length Of Drug Rehab Programs
Milwaukee drug treatment programs will vary in length depending on the rehab facility and the individual’s needs. Research has shown that the longer a person attends rehab, the more likely they are to maintain long-term sobriety.
Common treatment lengths available in Milwaukee include:
- Short-term programs lasting 30 or fewer days
- 60-day treatment
- 90-day treatment
- 120-day treatment
- Long-term programs lasting a year or longer
Substance Use In Milwaukee, WI
In 2016, Milwaukee County had 323 drug-overdose deaths. Substance use in the city and county continues to claim lives and destroy families.
Many residents struggle with alcohol use. Some statistics that show the serious nature of the alcohol addiction problem include:
- In 2014, three people per 100,000 in Milwaukee County were killed as a result of an alcohol-related motor vehicle accident.
- In 2014, 10,897 people in Milwaukee County were hospitalized due to alcohol-related diseases or conditions, a rate of 1,143 per 100,000 people in the county.
- In 2014, 316 people per 100,000 in Milwaukee were arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (OWI).
Over half (59 percent) of the adult Milwaukee County population admitted to current alcohol use.
The opioid epidemic has touched Milwaukee as it has much of Wisconsin.
- From 2013 to 2014, 2.7 people per 1,000 in Milwaukee County were hospitalized due to opioid addiction.
- In 2018, the Milwaukee County Medical Examiner reported 337 opioid-related overdose deaths in the county, a number which has nearly doubled since 2012.
- In 2017, emergency medical professionals responded to 1,534 overdose-related cases that required naloxone administration.
While opioids, in general, remain a problem in Milwaukee, heroin also continues to be a serious issue in the city and county.
- Since 2005, Milwaukee County has had a 495 percent increase in heroin-related deaths.
- Since August 2015, heroin was a contributing factor in almost half of the drug deaths in Milwaukee County.
- In 2016, 60.4 out of 100,000 residents were hospitalized for heroin poisoning in Milwaukee County.
Substances Commonly Used In Milwaukee
Because Milwaukee is known for a relaxed attitude toward alcohol with its many breweries and pervasive drinking culture, alcohol addiction is a serious concern for residents. However, that is just one of several substances that people find themselves struggling with. Common addictive substances used in Milwaukee include:
- Cocaine (including crack)
- Prescription drugs
Signs Of Addiction
For families who are wondering whether their loved one is struggling with addiction, learning to spot the signs of addiction can be helpful. Often, individuals who are dealing with addiction will show signs:
- Lack of enjoyment of hobbies
- Inattentiveness to personal hygiene
- Changes in diet or weight
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Abandoning friendships
- A constant need to find and use the substance
- Withdrawal symptoms when attempting to stop using the substance
- Changes in finances as more money is used to pay for the substance
- Problems in school or work
When families start to notice these signs in a loved one, addiction treatment specialists are the first place to look for help. Contact Vertava Health today for more information on addiction treatment in Milwaukee.